Knox and Gilgeous-Alexander receive All-SEC honors

Freshman forward Kevin Knox dunks the ball during the game against Ole Miss on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 in Lexington, Ky. Kentucky won the game 96-78. Photo by Hunter Mitchell.

Kernel Sports Staff

Before traveling to St. Louis for the SEC Tournament, Kentucky basketball’s Kevin Knox and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander received honors from league coaches, with Knox being named to the First Team All-SEC while Gilgeous-Alexander was named to the Second Team.

Both were also listed on the All-SEC Freshman Team along with six other freshmen, including Alabama’s Collin Sexton, Arkansas’ Daniel Gafford and Missouri’s Jontay Porter.

Sexton and Knox were also named SEC Co-Freshman of the Year. Knox is the ninth UK player to be named SEC Freshman of the Year, and the eighth UK freshman under John Calipari to win the award.

“It’s a great honor, its been a long season, a lot of up and downs, but just honored to really get that award,” Knox said before Tuesday’s practice. “I really thank my teammates and everything for that, I wouldn’t of gotten it without them.”

Knox being named to the First Team also marks the 12th time in-a-row that a UK player has been named to the coaches’ All-SEC First Team. Knox averaged a team-high 15.7 points per game, with his highest scoring output being the 34 points he scored at West Virginia.

Knox was joined by Arkansas’ Jaylen Barford, Florida’s Chris Chiozza, Georgia’s Yante Maten, Missouri’s Kassius Robertson, South Carolina’s Chris Silva, Tennessee’s Grant Williams and Texas A&M’s Tyler Davis on the First Team.

Williams was also named the SEC Player of the Year. Tennessee’s head coach Rick Barnes completed the Volunteer sweep of the top SEC awards by being named the SEC Coach of the Year.

Gilgeous-Alexander made the Second-Team with Sexton, Arkansas’ Daryl Macon, Auburn’s Bryce Brown and Jared Harper, Mississippi State’s Quinndary Weatherspoon, Tennessee’s Admiral Schofield and Vanderbilt’s Jeff Roberson.

“It’s a great accomplishment and I’m honored,” Gilgeous-Alexander said later that afternoon. “It’s nice to be recognized amongst so many alienated guys in the conference in such a difficult conference.”

Knox’s and Gilgeous-Alexander’s honor bring the total count of All-SEC players John Calipari has coached up to 23. At least one player has been named to the All-SEC Freshman Team every year since John Calipari took over as head coach at Kentucky.