Teens are leading the way for gun control – and people are listening

Hannah Woosley

On March 24, 2018, the March For Our Lives protest began in the form of a march. This march, organized by the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School after the devastating shooting that took place there in February, went straight to the capitol to protest gun violence.

These student organizers, and their supporters who marched alongside them, are advocating for a safer U.S. by demanding gun control. After the large amount of deaths from mass shootings and the gun violence towards one another thus far in the U.S., these student organizers are commendable. They are sharing their voice peacefully, while the rest of the U.S. watches, listens or participates.

These protests were not singled out to Washington, D.C., alone, but spread to other states like Kentucky, Wisconsin, Alaska, Hawaii, California, Oregon and many others. Supporters for gun control came brandishing cleverly captioned signs and t-shirts yielding the “March For Our Lives” slogan.

Celebrities took up the cause as well. Demi Lovato, Paul McCartney, LeBron James and Ellen DeGeneres were just some of many celebrities marching, performing at the end of the march or tweeting to show their support of this cause.

The demand for gun control is gaining support from 6-year-olds to 90-year-olds alike. This country is ready for gun legislation that listens to the demands of its people.

Now is the time for lawmakers to begin watching, listening and debating. These protests will not be over soon, not until progress for gun control has been accomplished.

This movement is the start of a future for a safer U.S. – for safer schools, movie theaters, for our minds to not wonder if we are next for simply going to class or seeing the latest movie. For years, lawmakers have condemned listening to protests that are not done peacefully, respectfully. But this protest was done in peace, and now, they must listen.

The Second Amendment was ratified in 1791, before assault rifles and extended clips existed. It is time to update this amendment to our current gun situation, one that needs a solution only lawmakers can prescribe.

These kids that created this movement after a devastating situation are pushing for us to do something, and it is gaining more recognition than any gun movement in the past. It is time to pay attention.