Friday is the last day to pay off parking tickets with donations

John Reed a Parking Control Officer for the University of Kentucky writes a ticket for an illegally parked vehicle. Photo by Mike Weaver | Staff

Cathryn Perini

Donations for Citations has returned to UK, giving members of the UK community the opportunity to pay off parking citations by donating nonperishable food or personal care items until Friday, April 6.

Students or other members of the UK community can donate 10 nonperishable food items or five personal care items to the Transportation Services office. The office can be found at 721 Press Avenue and is open from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. during weekdays.

This is the program’s third year. It benefits the Big Blue Pantry, which serves as a resource for UK students who are experiencing food insecurity or hunger.

Members of the UK community can only pay off “regular fines,” or those of $25 or less, which do not include immobilizations, impoundments, parking in fire lanes, disabled accessible parking violations or improper use of parking permits, according to Chrissie Tune, a Communications Officer for UK Transportation Services.

Expired items will not be accepted, nor will damaged or opened containers, items that require refrigeration, items that are in a glass container or items that are trial size.

“[Donating] is a way for members of the campus community to not just pay off one of their parking tickets, but to help UK students,” Tune said.

Donations for Citations has donated nearly 5,300 pounds of food to the Big Blue Pantry in its first two years.