Capilouto responds to concerns over tuition waiver legislation

President Eli Capilouto listens to the audience during the UK Senators meeting at the University of Kentucky Student Center in Lexington, Ky., on Monday, October. 22, 2012.

Kernel News Staff

UK President Eli Capilouto told campus via email on Friday that the university is “reviewing” the possible impact of state legislation that would end required tuition waivers for employees of Kentucky public higher-educational institutions. 

According to the email, the legislation passed from the Kentucky General Assembly would no longer require that employees of state postsecondary schools get free or reduced tuition.  

“Because many of our employees already have registered for classes for this summer and fall, we understand the sense of urgency to provide answers,” the email read.

The Employee Education Program and the Family Education Program— UK’s two current programs that provide tuition waivers to UK employees taking courses on campus— will not change.

UK is reaching out to other state institutions for possible “new approaches,” the email said. 

On Monday afternoon, in front of the University Senate, Capilouto will be addressing complications brought about by UK’s estimated $8 million reduction—about 3 percent—in state-provided funds.