Puppies, popsicles and sunshine take a load off students at philanthropy event

Sumaya Shalash, a sophomore nursing student, cuddles a puppy at Chi Psi’s event “Puppies and Popsicles” event, located across from the 90 on Thursday, April 12, 2018, at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky.

Rick Childress

Thursdays are for the boys—good boys (and girls) that is.

Furry friends frolicked through the grassy field across the street from The 90, while relaxed students enjoyed popsicles and petted puppies. 

The puppies and popsicles were courtesy of the Chi Psi fraternity, which hosted its third annual Puppies and Pops philanthropy event. 

All proceeds from the popsicle sales went to the Lexington Humane Society.

Zach Smith, a member of Chi Psi who helped run the event, said the dogs and desserts were a good stress reliever for students worried about the end of the semester.

“It’s a good break for people to hang out with a lot of people and not deal with school right as we approach finals,” said Smith, a business management junior. 

The sunny weather, near-perfect spring temperatures and over-abundance of friendly dogs attracted hundreds to the event. Smith said it was “really a perfect storm of things to happen to make it a really big event.” 

According to Smith, participants paid $5 to get a popsicle and pet puppies. The popsicles were provided by Steel City Pops, which has its Lexington location at the Summit, and the dogs were provided by a local breeder. 

The national Chi Psi fraternity suggests a puppy philanthropy event for all of its chapters, Smith said.

To promote the event Smith said that Chi Psi encouraged students to sign up for the Chi Psi Puppy Program. Those who signed up received puppy photos and a short message three times a week leading up to the event.