Update: Body of UK student found after accident in Mediterranean Sea

TeNiya Elnora Jones, a 19-year-old University of Kentucky sophomore, has been studying abroad in the Middle East was in a swimming accident in the Mediterranean Sea in Tel Aviv, Israel, on Saturday, July 28, 2018. According to The Times of Israel, her body was found Monday morning by Rescue forces that had been searching for her. 

Bailey Vandiver

The body of a UK student who went missing in the Mediterranean Sea on Saturday has been found, according to The Times of Israel

TeNiya Elnora Jones, a 19-year-old sophomore from Ft. Myers, was swimming late on Saturday night when a strong current pulled her and two friends out from shore. The other two made it back to shore, but Jones did not. 

According to The Times, rescue forces, which included divers, had been searching the coast ever since the incident. Jones’ body washed up early Monday morning, The Times reported. 

Jones was studying biology and Islamic studies at UK and spent part of the summer studying the Arabic language in the Middle East.

President Eli Capilouto said in a press release Sunday that thoughts and prayers are with Teniya, her family and others impacted.

Associate Provost Sue Roberts is traveling to Tel Aviv and should be there sometime Tuesday, said UK spokesperson Jay Blanton. She had been in India on UK business. 

Blanton said UK officials are still working with Jones’ family on travel arrangements.

ALSO READ: UK student studying abroad still missing after swimming accident in Israel