Kentucky Wildcab rolls out new app just in time for the weekend

Kentucky Wildcab released a new app on Thursday, August 23, 2018. The app allows students to hail free rides around the UK community. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Rick Childress

Kentucky Wildcab, UK’s free late-night, ride-hailing service, rolled out a new sleeker, and hopefully less buggy app design on Thursday night.

Tucker Lovett, the Assitant Director for Wildcab, said the new app— which is available on both the Apple and Google  app stores— will replace the older, glitchier TransLoc app. 

“It didn’t work like we wanted it to,” Lovett said. He added that students, who found that the old app didn’t work well, would quickly switch to Uber or another service that isn’t free.

Lovett said that Wildcab, which offers UK students free rides in the area around campus on late weekend nights, is “a vital need on campus.”

“It’s important that kids know that whatever situation they’re in, they’re going to have a safe ride home,” Lovett said.  

The new app handled 65 rides on its first night with a few kinks, but Lovett said that’s to be expected when a new app is rolled out. 

Wildcab runs Thursday through Saturday from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. while fall and spring classes are in session. The Student Government Association helps run the service in tandem with UK Transportation Services.

Lovett said the service averages about 300 riders per weekend, but he hopes that the service hopes to expand to average 500-600 riders.  

“Uber can be expensive,” Lovett said.

He added that he didn’t want those who can’t afford an Uber or similar service, to be prevented from exploring Lexington.