Sanding dust causes brief UK student center evacuation, officials say


A fire alarm caused by sanding dust from an area under construction required students, faculty and staff to evacuate the Gatton Student Center on UK’s campus in Lexington, Kentucky on Monday, Aug. 20, 2018.

Kernel News Staff

Students inside the Gatton Student Center had to be briefly evacuated after fire alarms went off inside the building Monday morning.

“No fire,” UK spokesperson Kathy Johnson wrote in an email.

According to Johnson, dust created by sanding being done in an area still under construction caused the alarms to go off.