Two arrested for shoplifting from UK Bookstore at student center

Two women are handcuffed outside the Gatton Student Center; one woman, on the right side, had already been handcuffed, while the other woman is handcuffed on the left side. Both were arrested for shoplifting from the UK Bookstore on Thursday, Oct. 18, 2018. Photo by Bailey Vandiver | Staff

Bailey Vandiver

Two women were arrested by UK Police for shoplifting on Thursday afternoon. 

UKPD spokesperson Kathy Johnson said the two were arrested for shoplifting from the UK Bookstore in the Gatton Student Center. Neither are UK students, Johnson said. 

An eyewitness said she saw one woman exit the bookstore before being chased outside and tackled by police. 

In video footage of her being handcuffed, a police officer can be heard saying, “You okay, ma’am?” and “Ma’am, are you okay?” The woman can be heard saying, “You hurt my elbow.”

She was led to a seating area beside the student center, and the woman with her was subsequently handcuffed. 

Several UKPD officers were on the scene, and two backpacks were searched. The situation was ongoing for about half an hour. At one point, a UK officer zipped up the sitting woman’s coat for her as she was sitting with her hands cuffed behind her back. 

After the two were led away to a police van, an officer was folding and sorting through several items of apparel, like a t-shirt and sweatpants, along with UK Bookstore Manager David Lang. Lang said he was unable to comment on the situation at this time. 

Johnson said one of the women had an active warrant for failing to appear in court, but UK Police was not yet sure on what charges. 

This article previously reported that one man and one woman were arrested, which was inaccurate.