Johnson scores eight points, eight rebounds in second half after ankle injury

Freshman guard Keldon Johnson walking off the court after being injured. University of Kentucky men’s basketball team defeated University of North Carolina Greensboro 78-61 at Rupp Arena on Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

In the first half of Saturday’s UNCG matchup, Kentucky freshman guard Keldon Johnson went down in pain after coming down from a rebound. After being tended to on the floor, Johnson was assisted into the locker room for further evaluation.

After the game, Johnson confirmed that he had rolled his left ankle. 

“Now, he had an ankle sprain back in high school at Huntington. He had that high ankle sprain, and maybe he tweaked it,” Kentucky head coach John Calipari said. 

Johnson came out of the locker room at halftime and appeared to be fine as he was warming up with the rest of the team, and ended up starting the second half. He would go on to score eight points and eight rebounds after his injury. 

“It was like he was shot by a sniper and then he got right back up and started running around…” Calipari said. “In the second half, he said, ‘I’m ready to go.'”

Johnson totaled a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds, and had the most rebounds in the second half for UK.