After a prolonged search, UK Libraries announces new dean

Kernel news sig

Emily Laytham

UK has found its new Dean of Libraries following the decision’s initial postponement to the fall semester.

July 15th will mark Doug Way’s first day as the new Dean of Libraries, according to a UK Now press release.

Way most recently worked at UW-Madison as the associate university librarian for Collections and Research Services, where he supervised over 75 library employees.

Prior to his work at UW-Madison, Way served as head of collections and scholarly communications at Grand Valley State University – the same school he attended for his undergraduate degree in history.

Way also holds a master’s degree in library and information science, which he obtained from Wayne State University.

As Dean of Libraries, Way said he hopes to prioritize collaboration between faculty and students through forward-thinking initiatives.

“This is an exciting time to be working in libraries and higher education,” Way said. “I look forward to collaborating with the outstanding faculty and staff within the libraries and across campus to support the research, teaching, learning and service missions of the university.”

The announcement of Way’s position comes after the search was initially delayed in April. In an email to UK students, Provost David Blackwell said their candidates of interest were “outstanding,” but that a decision was unable to be made at the time.

“I want to make a more vigorous effort to increase both the size and diversity of the candidate pool,” Blackwell said. “I am confident that continuing the search in the fall will give us greater opportunities to find the right leader for UK Libraries.”

Blackwell expressed hope for Way’s potential impact on campus.

“We are delighted to welcome Doug Way to the UK family,” Blackwell said. “His extensive experience will serve him well as he leads UK Libraries in this incredibly important position… Our entire campus will benefit from his leadership.”

Way will be succeeding interim Dean of Libraries Deirdre Scaggs.