Kentucky women’s basketball announces SEC opponents for the 2024-25 season

Sydney Yonker
Kentucky women’s Basketball head coach Kenny Brooks during the Kentucky Blue-White Spring football game on Saturday, April 13, 2024, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Sydney Yonker | Staff

Kentucky women’s basketball revealed its SEC opponents for the upcoming season on Tuesday.

First-year head coach Kenny Brooks will lead the Wildcats in 16 regular-season games, facing each conference team at least once. 

Eight games will be played at Memorial Coliseum, the new old home of Kentucky women’s basketball after an $82 million renovation, with eight away games.

The home schedule has UK hosting Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Tennessee and SEC newcomer Texas. 

The Wildcats will face Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss, Missouri, South Carolina, Texas A&M and Oklahoma on the road.

Kentucky women’s basketball head coach Kenny Brooks speaks to media during his introductory press conference inside the Joe Craft Center on Thursday, March 28, 2024, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo provided by Chet White | UK Athletics (Chet White)

The 16-team super conference will now only have one rotating opponent instead of the traditional three due to the addition of Texas and Oklahoma, with the rotating opponent set to change annually.

Looking more specifically at individual matchups, Kentucky will compete against Georgia twice in the 2024-25 season. Last year, the Cats lost to the Bulldogs in Athens during their only meeting.

Arkansas travels to Lexington on the home slate. The teams split the series last season, with both teams taking a win at home. 

Mississippi State granted Kentucky its only road win during the 2023-24 season, but the Wildcats were unable to beat the Bulldogs at home. 

Kentucky traveled to Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Tennessee last year, all of which ended in a loss for UK.

The Cats have only ever faced the Longhorns — coming from the Big 12 — twice in history and Texas won both matchups. Their first matchup was in 1978 in Austin and the most recent was in 2007 at the Jack in the Box Wahine Classic in Honolulu. Now, Kentucky and Texas will compete in Lexington for the first time ever this season. 

Looking at the road opponents, Kentucky faced eventual undefeated national champion South Carolina twice last season (0-2), however the new format has ended the Cats and Gamecocks’ two-game 30-year rivalry as Kentucky and South Carolina have played home-and-away for every season since 1995-96.

Kentucky will also be traveling to Florida, Ole Miss, Missouri and Texas A&M. The Cats defeated Florida and Missouri in close games at home last season, beating the Tigers by five and the Gators by four. Kentucky was not as lucky against Ole Miss and Texas A&M, falling to the Rebels in a blowout and to the Aggies in a dominant second-half comeback. 

The Oklahoma Sooners will host Kentucky for their first season in the SEC. The two most recently met in round two of the 2015-16 NCAA Tournament, with the Wildcats winning at Memorial Coliseum. 

The SEC has not announced the dates and times of any of its conference matchups. The remainder of the 2024-25 women’s basketball schedule is set to be released later this fall.