COLUMN: Everyone is eating healthier…and it’s pissing me off

Illustration by Akhila Nadimpalli

I feel it all around me – the judgement, the jerky glances, the slight shake of the head in disapproval. All I bought was a pack of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos, but I might as well have declared myself an alcoholic in need of another Miller Lite.

I never thought I would have to say it, much less witness it, but there is a new stigma plaguing our campus – buying junk food. Every time I walk into the pantry and buy anything other than a protein bar or an alkaline water infused with 493 minerals that claims to push me towards “peak performance” (for what type of performance I have absolutely no idea), I am given side eyes that would put Michelle Obama’s to shame.

It is not just the people I am purchasing these tainted goods from either – snarky looks are given by people close to me that I considered like-minded, dare I even say, friends. I’m sorry if I usually choose acidity-inducing coffee instead of beverages with “natural caffeine,” which tastes anything but natural.

Eating a “balanced diet” does not include the plate sliced into four quadrants and a mere ornamental circle of dairy anymore.
No. Now there is talk of “ions” and “unsaturated fats” and “good fiber.” I grew up with the notion that all fiber was good, but now I’m being told even bowel movements must be regulated by a specific type of carbohydrate?!

Furthermore, I just received notice that if one is prone to migraines, then they should avoid certain triggers, which correlates to a list of food items including chocolate, meat, dairy, citrus fruits, certain vegetables, and, what I consider a personal attack, caffeine.

I draw the line precisely here.

What this list translates to is, “If you want to live longer, your soul must suffer.” And given that migraines occur amongst women at higher rates, I believe the ailment itself to be quite sexist in its evolution – apparently menstruation was not enough.

But realizing that health and taste buds are not interrelated is not a recent discovery of mine. In fact, it dates back to when I was three years old and crying as I came face to face with my existential crisis: “Why is every tasty thing unhealthy?”

Food has always been my gateway to my Indian culture, and if I am forced to go back to the cuisine of the British colonies, revolution is once again imminent.

I understand that we now have better insight into our nutritious well-being than ever before, and we better understand dietary measures that can prolong our life.

But are those extra years worth it if it leads to deficiency of the soul? Of our taste buds’ souls? And is it really living if you are not able to enjoy the journey?

Cuisine may not be the only thing that provides nourishment to one’s being, but I do believe it provides about 85% of it. The rest of it comes from family and other loved ones and like nature or whatever.

I do not know how most people approach these matters, but I am clear on one thing: I am trying to live to thrive, not merely survive.