No. 4 Kentucky baseball thrashed 10-1 by Florida in game two

Sydney Yonker
Kentucky first baseman Ryan Nicholson during the Kentucky vs Tennessee baseball game on Saturday, April 20, 2024 at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 9-4. Photo by Sydney Yonker | Staff

No. 4 Kentucky baseball (36-11 19-7 SEC) was dominated by the Florida Gators (26-24 11-15 SEC) in game two by a score of 10-1 Saturday.

After taking game one, the Wildcats’ bats went silent and pitching faltered in the game two defeat. 

Kentucky pitcher Dominic Niman pitches during the Kentucky vs Tennessee baseball game on Saturday, April 20, 2024 at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 9-4. Photo by Sydney Yonker | Staff (Sydney Yonker)

After both offenses were held scoreless in the first, Hayden Yost tagged Wildcat starter Dominic Niman to bring home Brody Donay and gave the Gators a 1-0 lead. 

Niman returned to the mound in the third and gave up a leadoff home run to Cade Kurland.

The Gators kept the pressure on Niman as Jac Caglianone followed the home run up with a double and came around to score on a single by Colby Shelton that extended the Gator lead to 3-0.

Things did not get any easier for Niman in the fourth as he gave up a leadoff single to Tyler Shelnut before getting the first out. He then gave up a double to Dale Thomas that brought home Shelnut.

The Wildcat offense was shut down by Gator starter Liam Peterson though the first four innings, but was able to put together a small rally in the fifth that resulted in Ryan Waldschmidt scoring on a Devin Burkes infield single that made the score 4-1.

Despite that, the Wildcats’ deficit got deeper in the fifth after Niman walked Shelton and gave up a home run to Luke Heyman, which made the score 6-1 and ended his day.

Evan Byers broke up the Gators’ consecutive innings scoring streak by working out of a bases-loaded jam in the sixth.

Florida’s offense picked back up in the seventh by plating three runs on singles by Kurland and Ashton Wilson before Heyman hit his second home run of the day in the bottom of the eighth which was the final score of the day and brought the decisive 10-1 final.

The Wildcat offense only had five hits in the game, being led by Burkes, who had two including the lone RBI. Niman was credited with the loss, moving his record on the year to 8-4. 

The Wildcats and the Gators will take the field for the series-deciding game three on Sunday, May 12, with first pitch scheduled for Noon ET.

View Comments (2)