Kentucky football falls out of AP Poll in week eight after Missouri loss

Isaiah Pinto
Kentucky defensive back Maxwell Hairston catches his breath during the Kentucky vs. Missouri football game on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 38-21. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

Kentucky football fell out of the AP Poll in the week eight edition after suffering a 38-21 loss against Missouri at Kroger Field.

The Wildcats had previously been No. 24 in the rankings after dropping from No. 20 following their lopsided 51-13 loss against No. 1 Georgia.

The week eight poll saw the Cats receive just four votes, tying for the seventh highest non-ranked team.

Kentucky running back Ray Davis muscles through Missouri defenders during the Kentucky vs. Missouri football game on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 38-21. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff (Isaiah Pinto)

Missouri made its triumphant return to the poll after falling out prior to facing Kentucky, jumping up to No. 20 in the rankings.

The Bulldogs in Athens remained in the No. 1 slot after defeating Vanderbilt 37-20, but they weren’t the only ones, with the entire top four remaining unchanged.

Alabama, which Kentucky will face on Nov. 11, remained in place at No. 11 after beating Arkansas 24-21, ensuring that only one SEC team finds itself within the top 10.

Ole Miss clocked in at No. 13 after a bye, though the Cats won’t face the Rebels this season.

The Volunteers at Tennessee jumped up two spots to the No. 17 spot after defeating Texas A&M 20-13. Kentucky will face off against the Vols on Oct. 28, the first game coming out of the bye week for UK.

LSU jumped up three spots to No. 19 in the poll, though the Tigers are another SEC West squad that does not have Kentucky on its schedule this season.

Looking outside just the SEC conference, Kentucky’s Governors’ Cup rivals Louisville dropped a staggering seven spots down to No. 21 after being stunned by unranked Pittsburgh on the road.

The Cardinals had gotten as high as 14 after upsetting currently No. 15 Notre Dame, which turned around and upset then No. 10 USC, which had previously been undefeated.

Kentucky’s recent back-to-back bowl game foe in the form of Iowa jumped into the AP Top 25 for the first time this season, clocking in at No. 24 after defeating Wisconsin.

Looking at the squads receiving votes, the Florida Gators received 12, three times more than the Cats who had conquered them 33-14 to receive a ranking in the first place.

The Wildcats will enter their bye week, making it unlikely they will feature in the week nine poll, before returning to action against Tennessee on Saturday, Oct. 28, from Kroger Field in Lexington. The kick off time against the Vols is TBD.