Kentucky diving adds three NCAA bids at Zone C Championships

A UK swimmer diving into the pool. University of Kentucky’s Swim and Dive had a meet with LSU on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at Lancaster Aquatic Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Kierra Oney, Reporter

The Kentucky diving team had a successful weekend at the Zone C Diving Championships.

Each of the six divers on Kentucky’s roster competed in the event which took place at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.

Kyndal Knight, Sam Duncan and Abby Devereaux each secured their spots into the 2023 NCAA Championships as a result of the trio’s performances.

The meet, which was attended by 105 divers from 22 schools and included preliminary and final rounds, featured the debuts of Kentucky freshman Jodi Cobb and sophomore Abby Devereaux.

The competition got underway on Thursday with the mens one-meter and womens three-meter.

Duncan scored a 669.75 in the one-meter dive, earning himself sixth place and ensuring his third-straight NCAA appearance.

Knight, Deveraux, Claire McDaniels and Morgan Southall all competed for the women with Knight going to the final and ultimately placing fourth with a score of 670.50.

Duncan and Knight continued competing on Friday with the men and women switching boards.

Duncan achieved a 692.15 in the mens three-meter while Knight once again took fourth place in the one-meter, tallying a score of 595.15.

The divers competed again on Saturday where three of UK’s four entries qualified for finals.

Knight, a SEC silver medalist, placed seventh with a score of 563.85 while Devereaux finished right after her with a score of 538.60.

Devereaux’s score earned her ninth place in the event and her first career NCAA bid.

McDaniels’ score of 475.60 also meant that she qualified for the finals, finishing in fifteenth.

Knight and Devereaux will join 13 other Kentucky swimmers at the 2023 NCAA Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships.

The Championships will take place in Knoxville, Tennessee, from March 15th-18th.

Duncan also became the sixth individual qualifier for the men and will join his teammates in Minneapolis from March 22nd-25th.