DanceBlue to host 18th year of raising money ‘For the Kids’

Michael Clubb

Students participate in the hourly line dance during the 24-hour DanceBlue marathon on Sunday, March 6, 2022, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff File Photo

Amy Oakley, Reporter

DanceBlue, a University of Kentucky student-run organization, raises money for the Golden Matrix Fund through year-long fundraising that concludes with a 24-hour no sitting, no sleeping dance marathon. DanceBlue 2023 is set to begin Saturday, March 25, and conclude Sunday, March 26.

Jennifer Mynear collaborated with the university to create DanceBlue over 18 years ago to honor and keep the legacy of her son, Jarrett Mynear. 

Jarrett Mynear was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer at two years old. By the time he was 13, his cancer had multiplied into six different types. 

Before his passing in 2002, he created a list of requests. One was to raise funds to improve the Pediatric Oncology Outpatient Clinic at Kentucky Children’s Hospital. 

“Jennifer Mynear wanted to keep Jarrett’s legacy alive and just be able to spread his journey of childhood cancer and just give a little bit of joy back to DanceBlue,” DanceBlue 2023 Overall Chair Grace Bush said. 

DanceBlue, entering its 18th year of fundraising, has accumulated over 19 million dollars since it began in 2006. The money raised through DanceBlue is donated to the Golden Matrix Fund, a fund established to support the current and future children in Kentucky Children’s Hospital Hematology/Oncology Clinic. 

Although DanceBlue works all year to fundraise, the main dance marathon event will take place at the end of March. The 24-hour no sitting, no sleeping marathon takes place in Memorial Coliseum and brings hundreds of participants throughout the day. 

The marathon will be held in person this year, with media and spectators allowed to come at any time during those 24 hours. In order to dance in the marathon, participants must raise at least $400 before the marathon starts, according to Bush. 

“We have had engagement on all sides. Not in just fundraising and the dancers, but also engagement to our events like tabling events and our fundraisers. We are seeing some record breaking numbers this year that we are excited about,” Bush said. 

Between dancers, committee members and volunteers, Bush expects the floor capacity to be around 1,000 people. In Oct. 2022, 100 teams had already registered for the 2023 marathon. 

“The goal of DanceBlue is to expand it further than it ever has been before and to really create that memorable experience for everyone regardless if they’re a dancer, regardless if it’s a reporter, like whoever it might be who’s coming. We want them to see the impact,” Bush said. 

If students are interested in participating, they can become dancers, volunteers or donors for DanceBlue. More information can be found on the organization website, danceblue.org