University updates sexual assault, conduct policies

UK revised several administrative policies, some of which are redefining disciplinary procedures. 

The university’s General Counsel William Thro wrote Thursday in a campus-wide email that UK added sections on June 10 to Administrative Regulation 6:2, the university’s policy on addressing sexual assault, stalking, dating violence and domestic violence, to clarify the policy’s purpose and emphasize UK’s commitment to “providing a safe learning, living, and working environment for all members of the university community.”

Thro wrote that the policy now includes a section that says the policy applies to incidents that occur off campus, but is still related to the university. 

UK also updated its definition of “affirmative consent” to include that a voluntary expression of consent must be given from each person involved in sexual activity on June 10, Thro wrote.

Definitions of “Cyber-stalking,” “Complicity,” “Force or Coercion,” “Incapacitation,” “Physical Assault,” “Sexual Exploitation” and “Responsible Employee” are now in the policy as of June 10. 

Among the changes Thro addressed, the Board of Trustees approved earlier in September to increase the minimum amount it could accept for gifts from $400,000 to $1,000,000. 

Thro also alerted campus about changes made to the Code of Student Conduct, which was approved at the UK Board of Trustees’ June 24 meeting. 

“The Code of Student Conduct (“Code”) documents the University’s rules, procedures, and responsibilities related to non-academic student conduct,” Thro’s email said.

The code was updated to comply with federal and state laws, reflect changes made to Administrative Regulation 6:2 and incorporate the code into Administrative Regulations.

Related: CATS Survey results released, 837 sexual assaults reported

“We undertake a regular review of our Code of Student Conduct to improve the health, safety and success of the University of Kentucky,” President Eli Capilouto said in a press release after the June 26 meeting. “The changes within — guided by feedback from students, faculty, staff and community members — will improve the safety and climate of the campus community.”

The Code of Conduct changes are the first to be made since 2010. The Regulations Review Committee and several student groups, such as the Student Government Association have been involved in making the revisions. The vetting process for the changes has gone on for about two years. A new list of regulations can be found at http://www.uky.edu/regs/updates.htm