Greek life students to box for charity

Lauren Mason

The Main Event is a two-day charitable amateur boxing tournament held by Alpha Delta Pi Sorority and Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity in which participants sign up to box other Greek life students. 

Audience members get to watch boxing matches as well as musical and dance performances  and join together to raise money for The Ronald McDonald House Charities. RMHC is an independent corporation that offers temporary housing to families whose children are hospitalized and live too far away to commute to the location of their treatment. 92 percent of the proceeds raised from the Main Event will benefit the RMHC. 

RMHC has been ADPi’s national philanthropy since 1979. The UK chapter of ADPi has hosted The Main Event since 2008. 

Camiran Moore serves as the Vice President of Recruitment and Marketing for Alpha Delta Pi. 

“The Alpha Delta Pi chapter at the University of Kentucky has a rich history of providing Lexington’s Ronald McDonald House with annual fundraising efforts and volunteer resources,” says Camiran Moore, a broadcast journalism junior. 

Related: Students can participate in local breast cancer awareness walk

Boxing matches will consist of three rounds with each round lasting a minute and a half. 

Roger Walther has been training for The Main Event and will represent Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity. 

“I’m so excited for the event. I’ve been training for a while to prepare,” said Walther, a civil engineering freshman.Walther said he has been waking up at 6 a.m. for the past several weeks to do basic workouts in preparation for his fight. 

Along with their own training sessions, ADPi provides participants with free training sessions at the Lexington Legends’ Gym. Walther said boxers are matched together based on their weight classes and skill levels. 

The boxing is not limited to only male participants. Accounting and finance junior Kelsey Ogden will be representing Chi Omega Women’s Fraternity in the match.

Related: UK medical students brighten children’s futures 

“I’m pumped. I’ve been working out and training for this for about a month,” she said. Ogden has been training at Title Gym, attending their “power hour,” doing crossfit and running several times a week to stay in shape. 

The Main Event will take place at 7 p.m. Nov. 3 and 4 at the Lexington Convention Center downtown, according to ukthemainevent.com. Two ticket options are available for purchase on the website. Tickets for Nov. 3 are $15 and tickets for the both days and a concert by rappers Lil’ Uzi Vert and Jon X on Friday are $40.  

“The Main Event unites the entire Greek and campus community for a local and impactful cause. We are supporting a charity that sits in our backyard and benefits our own neighbors,” Moore said.