Panel discusses future of Kentucky education

Sarah Landers

Education and economics experts gathered in the Gatton College of Business and Economics Thursday to evaluate the background of Kentucky’s K-12 education and how the Trump administration’s education policies will affect the Commonwealth. 

UK Department of Economics Associate Professor Dr. Aaron Yelowitz hosted the panel, which emphasized the bill Governor Matt Bevin recently signed that will allow charter schools in Kentucky.

Yelowitz began the panel by introducing himself as a parent of three public school students who is interested in how the “education landscape in Kentucky might change” under the current administration.

Director of UK Martin School of Public Policy and professor Dr. Ron Zimmer discussed Kentucky’s K-12 education funding. Expenditures per student are slightly below $10,000, which he said is low on the national scale. Zimmer said Trump’s policies will not have a significant impact on Kentucky.

“It could for specific populations like special education, but broadly it will not have big effects,” Zimmer said.

College of Education Assistant Professor Dr. Joseph Waddington addressed the continuing struggle to provide the best education for all Kentucky students.

“There are still persistent achievement gaps based on socioeconomic status, based on race and ethnicity, on any of these measures,” Waddington said.

Dr. Wayne Lewis, Executive Director of Education Policy and Programs of the Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet, said the difference between traditional public schools and public charter schools is simply “flexibility and autonomy.” 

He believes the idea of traditional public schools serving every student is ideal, but is not a realistic goal.

“I am a strong advocate for providing parents with options,” Lewis said.

Katy Estes, an economics student at UK, voiced concerns about student success rates, which she said was an issue at Lexington Traditional Magnet School. Estes said she wants to help kids and has more than 250 hours of volunteer work tutoring LTMS students. 

She is disappointed by the effects of the changing education policies in Fayette County and believes they are only hurting students.