UKPD aware of social media bomb threat against White Hall, increasing security

White Hall Classroom Building

Kernel News Staff

The UK Police Department is aware of and preparing for a bomb threat against White Hall that was shared via social media, UK President Eli Capilouto announced Wednesday evening in a statement. 

The statement referred to the threat as “unsubstantiated.”

“As is normal in these situations, UK Police are investigating the social media post,” Capilouto said in the statement. 

Security will be heightened around White Hall tomorrow, Nov. 8, but events and classes will proceed as normal. The statement said UK will keep the community informed about any additional developments. 

Screenshots of the threats on Snapchat have been circulating around student group messages. 

“White Hall is about to be white ashes along with every a**hole student in it,” one Snapchat read. 

“Thirsty thursdays are about become ticking time bomb thursdays,” another said.

Additional screenshots included more vulgar and threatening language.

“Please know the safety of our campus community is our top priority,” the statement said. “As always, if you see anything that you believe represents a potential compromise of safety anywhere on campus, call UK Police at 257-8573 or #UKPD on your cell phone. Thank you.” 

An additional Snapchat was posted around 9 p.m. on Thursday evening, seemingly from the same account as the earlier Snapchats, after UK released its statement and the news spread among media outlets and social media. 

The Snapchat said, “Group chats. News channels. Twitter. Facebook… the fear has spread just as it should get ready p******.” 

INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: UK’s White Hall bomb threat