Kentucky’s own Reed Sheppard drafted No. 3 overall in 2024 NBA Draft

Kentucky guard Reed Sheppard dribbles the ball during the Kentucky vs. Florida mens’s basketball game on Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2024, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 94-91. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Kentucky’s own Reed Sheppard was selected No. 3 overall in the 2024 NBA Draft by the Houston Rockets on Wednesday, becoming the first Wildcat to hear his name called in the draft.

Kentucky guard Reed Sheppard (15) passes the ball during the No. 2 Kentucky vs. No. 7 Texas A&M men’s basketball match in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals on Friday, March 15, 2024, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. Kentucky lost 97-87. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff (Samuel Colmar)

Sheppard burst onto the scene at Kentucky out of North Laurel High School in London, Kentucky, as the son of Kentucky legend and Atlanta Hawk Jeff Sheppard and Kentucky women’s basketball star Stacey Reed Sheppard.

With expectations being modest for the young Sheppard despite his status as Mr. Kentucky Basketball and McDonald’s All-American, few could have expected just how successful his lone season at Kentucky would prove to be.

Averaging 12.5 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.5 steals per game — all while shooting 53.6% from the field — Sheppard solidified himself as a true star in blue and white, being named SEC, NABC and USBWA Freshman of the Year.

Sheppard began playing at a high level early, dropping 25 points against Stonehill in mid November, but he only seemed to get better from there, reaching a season-high point total on Feb. 27 on the road against Mississippi State with 32 points and a game-winner.

Close to two weeks later he did it again, dropping 27 away at then No. 4 Tennessee to boost the Cats to an 85-81 victory to close the regular season.

Despite struggling in the postseason, Sheppard continued to impress at the NBA Draft combine and in subsequent workouts, being invited to the Draft “Green Room” and being called one of the best shooters available.

Now joining the Rockets, Sheppard will join the likes of Jalen Green and Fred VanVleet and will stand as the 59th Wildcat to be drafted in the first round of an NBA Draft.