PREVIEW: Kentucky baseball set to face NC State in first Men’s College World Series appearance

Cole Parke
Kentucky Pitcher Robert Hogan delivers a pitch to home plate. Kentucky beat Oregon State 3-2 to win the Lexington Super Regional and advance to the 2024 College World Series on Sunday, June 9, 2024, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Cole Parke | Staff

Kentucky baseball is set to take on NC State in its first game in program history in the Men’s College World Series.

The Bat Cats find themselves in Omaha after defeating Oregon State in the first two games of the Lexington Super Regional.

The Wolfpack had to hit the road for the Athens Super Regional in which it outlasted the Georgia Bulldogs to punch its ticket to Omaha.

Offensive players to watch

Kentucky’s Second baseman Émilien Pitre and Oregon States Catcher Tanner Smith lookup after Pitre hit a pop up into the infield. Kentucky beat Oregon State 3-2 to win the Lexington Super Regional and advance to the 2024 College World Series on Sunday, June 9, 2024, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Cole Parke | Staff (Cole Parke)

The Wildcat offense starts at the top of the order with the leadoff man, Ryan Waldschmidt, who has put together an impressive campaign that could result in the Cats’ left fielder being a first round draft pick in this summer’s MLB Draft.

On the year, Waldschmidt leads all offensive starters with a .473 on-base percentage while also posting a .346 average and a .634 slugging percentage.

Another name that jumps out for the Wildcats is Ryan Nicholson, who has been one of the team’s hottest hitters in postseason play as he enters Omaha on a seven-game hitting streak with three home runs and nine RBIs during that streak.

Looking at his numbers on the season, the lefty leads offensive starters with a .675 slugging percentage while also hitting to a .299 batting average and a .404 on-base percentage.

When looking at the Wolfpack, Alec Makarewicz leads the team with a .380 batting average, .439 on-base percentage and a .744 slugging percentage.

Another name of note is Garrett Pennington, who has put up a stellar season that showcases a .348 batting average, .430 on-base percentage and a .668 slugging percentage.

Rounding out the trio of offensive threats for the Wolfpack is Jacob Cozart, who has posted a .300 batting average, .430 on-base percentage and a .604 slugging percentage on the season.

Pitching staffs

With the current tournament format it’s still a mystery as to who the Wildcats or the Wolfpack will go with for their game one starter, however, both teams have a trio to choose from.

Kentucky Pitcher Mason Moore walks to the dugout after striking out a batter to end the inning. Kentucky beat Oregon State 3-2 to win the Lexington Super Regional and advance to the 2024 College World Series on Sunday, June 9, 2024, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Cole Parke | Staff (Cole Parke)

Starting with the Wildcats, their ace has turned into Trey Pooser, who has posted a 3.46 ERA, which leads Wildcat starters. The righty has done this in 83.1 innings pitched as he’s given up 32 earned runs and has also struck out 79 batters.

Right behind him numbers wise is Mason Moore, who has posted a 4.93 ERA as he’s given up 48 earned runs and leads starters with 87.2 innings pitched along with 80 strikeouts.

Rounding out the trio of possible starters for Kentucky is Dominic Niman, who has posted a 6.24 ERA in 70.2 innings pitched as he has surrendered 49 earned runs and struck out 66 batters.

Switching gears to the Wolfpack, its ace is Sam Highfill, who has posted a 5.06 ERA in 80 innings of work as he’s given up 45 earned runs while also striking out 75 batters.

Another starter for the Wolfpack is Dominic Fritton, who has posted a 7.35 ERA as he’s given up 58 earned runs in 71 innings pitched and has struck out 69 batters.

The final typical starter for NC State is Ryan Marohn, who has worked 59 innings on the year and given up 26 earned runs, which equals out to a 3.97 ERA. Marohn has also retired 46 batters via strikeouts.

Looking at the bullpens, the Wolfpack showcase a duo of Jacob Dudan and closer Derrick Smith.

On the season, Dudan has posted a 4.40 ERA in 47 innings of work as he’s given up 23 earned runs and struck out 55 batters. Looking at Smith’s numbers on the season, in his 28 innings of work he has surrendered 14 earned runs which equates to a 4.50 ERA. Smith has struck out 41 batters on the season.

Amongst a host of names that stick out in the Kentucky bullpen, two of its most reliable arms lately have been Robert Hogan and Cameron O’Brien. In the team’s Super-Regional-clinching win, the duo combined for 5.1 scoreless innings.

On the season, Hogan has posted a 2.58 ERA in 38.1 innings pitched as he’s given up 11 earned runs and struck out 38 batters. When it comes to O’Brien’s season-long numbers, the righty has worked 32 innings and posted a 3.94 ERA as he has surrendered 14 earned runs and struck out 43 batters.

With the stage now set, Kentucky and NC State will face off at Charles Schwab field in Omaha, Nebraska, in the College World Series on Saturday, June 15, with first pitch scheduled for 2 p.m. ET.