Editorial: Ditch chain restaurants in favor of local eateries

It is necessary to buy local when living in a community with thriving local businesses, but many people forget about it when choosing what they eat. Eating local is just as important as buying items from local shops or produce from a local farmer.

“Eating locally might also give students an opportunity to explore what is happening in central Kentucky, within the food realm, and to see what is being done outside your southern food staple,” said Niki Heichelbech, director of communications at Visit Lex. “There are a lot of exciting restaurants here in Lexington and getting out there and experiencing local is what it is all about.”

There are plenty of local eateries within walking distance from campus; many of these restaurants are comparable in price, and they are healthier and tastier than their chain counterparts. Eating local is easy, and also almost every type of food can be found locally.

“Eating locally also helps sustain our local economy,” Heichelbech said. “If you have local establishment owners, then more of those dollars are staying here locally. It is fairly obvious why it would be good and important for us to keep our dollars here in town.”

Italian: It may seem easy to pick up Fazoli’s on the break between classes, but locally owned Joe Bologna’s is famous for breadsticks and Italian cuisine. Located in an old church, the atmosphere is great and seems like a spiritual experience.

Tacos: The new Taco Bell may seem like a convenient option, but there are two nearby taco places — Local Taco and Cinco de Mayo — that are healthier and of better quality in every way.

Chinese: The Panda Express in Bowman’s Den is a great stop, but try the local restaurant Red Bang Bang instead of handing money over to a franchise. Red Bang Bang is affordable at a dollar per scoop.

Burger and fries: McDonald’s is the king of fast food. Not only does the franchise now have breakfast all day, but college students may also find it hard to pass on the price. But the local Tolly Ho, an essential UK experience, has great burgers, cheese fries, shakes and breakfast. Tolly Ho curbs the need for American food in an economically friendly way and is open for a drunken binge of unhealthy food.

It is all about quality, not quantity, when choosing grub. Local Lexington restaurants are still around for good reason, so think local the next time you are in the mood for a burger or large cheese pizza.