Theatre student says he relates to his new character

From left to right, junior theater majors Alexis Slocum, Peter LaPrade, Rob Miller, and Taha Mandviwala practice Act 1 of their play “The 39 Steps” on Monday, February 2, 2015 in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Hunter Mitchell

By Rebecca Watters

College students often struggle with choosing a major when they come in as freshmen. Sometimes they have no idea what they want to do, and other times it can be a struggle to choose between what is practical and what will make money after graduation — fine arts majors are no stranger to the latter phenomenon.

For theatre senior Peter LaPrade, choosing his major did not come until later in his college career. LaPrade was cast in “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” which will be performed from Nov. 12 to Nov. 15 at the Guignol Theatre.

“Spelling Bee” is a Broadway musical comedy about six kids who are competing to become the spelling bee champion.

Though LaPrade knew deep down he was always passionate about theatre, he originally came in as an arts administration major because he thought it was more practical.

“Before college, and in the beginning, I always felt like I needed a second option,” LaPrade said. “But I just can’t do anything else, I need to act. I would be ignoring a huge part of myself if I didn’t.”

LaPrade grew up as an only child, and he attributes his love for acting to his childhood, which he said was full of superheroes and animals instead of trucks and cars. For the first five years of his life, he spent much of his time creating stories for his toys, and once he had siblings in his elementary years, he said he enjoyed directing them.

“I was always pretending as a child,” LaPrade said. “I remember hearing my family recall one Christmas when I was really young, and they say I grabbed an egg whisk and sang ‘Frosty the Snowman’ into it like it was a microphone over and over again. When I hear people recall these stories, I don’t really think anyone is surprised that I am where I ended up.”

When it came time to choose college, LaPrade was originally drawn to UK because it offered the arts administration major. He was torn between the University of Georgia and UK, but once he was offered a full academic scholarship at UK, he said he knew where he belonged.

“At that point, it was as if God had made the choice for me,” he said. “I’ve never once looked back since then, though, and that’s unlike me because I usually over analyze everything. I’m very grateful for my choice.”

Since he began his college career, LaPrade has been cast in twelve shows with the UK Department of Theatre. Of these twelve roles, nine have been leads.

In “Spelling Bee” he plays Chip Tolentino, a twelve-year-old boy, whom LaPrade said he can relate to in more ways than one.

“It’s bizarre to be playing a child,” LaPrade said. “As a senior, it’s almost a dichotomy to be playing someone I’m so far from in age, but Chip and I are both at turning points in our lives. He also reminds me a lot of myself as a child because we are both perfectionists and have an over-achieving personality.”

Though he has enjoyed “Spelling Bee,” LaPrade’s favorite roles are those in British comedies, including his appearances in “The 39 Steps” and “The Importance of Being Earnest.”

“British comedies are like a playground for actors. I really love the dialect and the style of comedy — you get immediate results from the audience in the form of laughter,” LaPrade said.

Before any show, LaPrade said, he has a specific ritual, which includes eating an apple and doing 25 push-ups, planking for one minute and doing 50 sit-ups. Though it may sound superstitious, LaPrade said he feels like it helps him physically connect with himself and get into character.

“It really gets me grounded,” LaPrade said. “I’ve learned in my time at UK that I’m a physical actor, and doing these things helps prepare me.”

With three and a half years of experience at UK, LaPrade is nearing graduation. Though his plans are not certain yet, he has many auditions lined up in the spring. He said he is certain, though, that whatever he does will involve acting.

In the meantime, he is continuing to perform at UK. In January he will be performing in the dance show, and LaPrade can only think of one word to describe his feelings on his experience at the university as graduation gets closer.

“(I am) grateful,” LaPrade said. There’s really so much I could say, but that’s the best way I can describe it … I’m leaving here a better man than the boy who first came.”

For producer Nancy Jones, who has worked with LaPrade since his freshman year, it is no surprise that Peter has succeeded at UK, and she in confident he will continue to do great things in the future.

“Peter’s talent, intelligence and charisma on stage has been evident since the day he arrived on campus four years ago,” Jones said. “There’s no doubt in my mind that (LaPrade) is going to take his four years of experience at the Guignol stage and launch a wonderful professional career.”

The shows from Thursday to Saturday begin at 7:30 p.m. and the Sunday matinee begins at 2 p.m. Tickets may be purchased at the Singletary Center for the Arts box office or online. (www.scfatickets.com)

Student tickets are $15 and general admission is $20. Students must display a valid UK student ID to get the discount.