Five generations of equine passion

By Lexington Souers

Horse racing is often about what’s in the blood.

For UK equine management senior, Cian McEntee, and his family horse racing has been in the blood for five generations.

“I was four years old when we moved here,” McEntee said. “I didn’t have a babysitter. I just ran around all day. I had a little pony out on the walking machine.”

McEntee’s father manages Miacomet Farm, and McEntee would often visit as a child. When he was 13 he began working during school breaks and continued until 2012. He would go on to do yearling prep and worked the Paramount sales. He has also interned for Christophe Clement who trains Tonalist – a Classic contender.

McEntee’s father broke Tonalist, and McEntee was with the horse on the track when he won the Belmont. McEntee also worked with another Clemont trained horse- I’m A Chatterbox, who will run in the Distaff.

McEntee said he will be nervous throughout the Breeders’ Cup because he and his father have worked with so many of those competing.

“For the Distaff, it’ll be butterflies in the stomach, because I’ve worked with the horse (I’m A Chatterbox),” McEntee said.

McEntee said that having Breeders’ Cup in the heart of horse country is what will make it distinct from previous years. He added that the atmosphere at Keeneland will be electric because of the “horse people” in Lexington and the surrounding areas.

“It’s going to be filled with people who are desperate to go because they work in the horse business,” McEntee said. “Now it’s going to be filled with the kind of people that go to the Breeders’ Cup Friday and Saturday, but also the farm that morning to check on their horses.”

It is this kind of horse smart crowd that McEntee said would make the Breeders’ Cup at Keeneland such a distinct experience.

“It’ll be a cool crowd to watch it with,” McEntee said. “There will be a huge roar when they jump off and then you could hear a pin drop when they’re coming around the backside – you’ll only be able to hear the P.A. announcer – and then the roar will turn on again as they turn for home.”

According to McEntee the crowd will be intelligent and eager to see all the races. As well, those betting will be smarter about their bets. He said the buzz on the backstretch has been more infectious in the past week as those in the business prepare.

“To the people that are in the business it couldn’t be bigger. To the kids on campus, I don’t really know,” McEntee said.  “I hope because it’s in town, it will be on peoples’ minds and they will tune in and watch.”