America’s horse comes back to the Bluegrass

By Morgan Lafferty

“Homecoming” might be the perfect word to describe having the Breeders’ Cup in Lexington, especially for American Pharoah.

No other Triple Crown winner in history has ever run his or her last race in Kentucky, making this truly a special race for American Pharoah to be back in the place where it all started.

Not only is it Pharoah’s homecoming, but it is also the first time any Triple Crown winner has had the opportunity to compete in any Breeders’ Cup race. The Breeders’ Cup was founded in 1984 and the last Triple Crown winner, Affirmed, was reigning champion in 1978. Despite running multiple high-stakes races trainer Bob Baffert said that Pharoah still has it in him.

“He’s like the old-time thoroughbred,” Baffert said. “They’re able to run him every week, run him in a lot of races, and he still looks good … usually they start getting a little bit dull. But he’s got a great mind and he takes good care of himself.”

Owner Ahmed Zayat said he has complete faith in his horse and believes that no matter what surface or what post he is racing, Pharoah gives him a level of confidence that he can and will win.

Zayat also said he believes American Pharoah is going to miss racing and doing what he loves because he is such a competitor.

“Winning the derby, we wanted it for the Zayats’. Winning the Triple Crown, I wanted it for the fans of the sport. I want him to win that unbelievable race (The Breeders’ Cup Classic) for Pharoah. To go out in a way that we’ll always remember him as a brilliant and kind horse.”

Baffert said that Pharoah has grabbed him “more than any other horse has.”

“That’s what it is about him. But that was even before he won the Triple Crown; he’s just always been such a sweet and kind horse,” Baffert said.

Winning the Breeders’ Cup Classic, the “Grand Slam” (Triple Crown and Classic), or as Baffert would rather it be called, the “Quadro” would be a lifetime opportunity for Team Pharoah.

“To America, I think he brought us back home. We all waited for something to happen (another Triple Crown winner) for 37 years and he was the one. And he did it,” Zayat said. “I will never forget that day.”

No matter what place American Pharoah takes in the Classic, it will likely be an extremely emotional day as he runs his last race in Kentucky where it all started.

“This is for AP, he deserves it, he earned it. We just want it for the horse. This is going to be his last race, we want him to go out on a high note, hopefully.” Zayat said. “He’s an incredible athlete, he’s brilliantly fast, he has a heart bigger than me and he’s very special. I just want it for him.”

Baffert said he takes American Pharoah’s training day-by-day, and is not worried about Keeneland’s surface. Despite their confidence, Team Pharoah is not getting any sleep this week. The track’s switch to dirt has caused concerns from other trainers and fans. “He’s been on more surfaces than any of these horses,” Baffert said.

After winning the Triple Crown, American Pharoah has raced at Monmouth Park and Saratoga. He was defeated by Keen Ice, another Cup contender, at Saratoga.

“I want American Pharoah to do what he does best,” Zayat said. “To win and win with command and show what a special creature and animal he is.”