Internship event helps students make connections for the future

By Allison Arterburn

Students who want a head start making connections with businesses and engaging with top-ranked programs will have that chance Wednesday.

The Stuckert Career Center will host Internships 101 at noon in room 202, an event that takes place several times throughout each semester. Following Wednesday, there will be three more sessions before the end of the semester.

Internships 101 is designed for students to become more informed by asking questions about the process of getting an internship, as well as how and when to apply for internships in the future. Many majors require students to have at least one semester of an internship for-credit before they can graduate.

“I think that this opportunity should get more publicity, because it provides an unparalleled edge for students who know about it and are able to attend,” said Megan Marcum, an English sophomore who did not know about Internships 101.

Internships 101 provides students information about what they can to do to succeed, but it also helps the students find internship opportunities specific to their majors. The sessions are open to all students, and career advisers are available to students throughout the program to answer questions and help them look for the right internships.

Makenna Tracy, a pre-communication sciences and disorders sophomore, said she thinks it is a great way to make the process of getting an internship less overwhelming than what it seems to be at first.

The session will be open to any student who wants more information about finding a for-credit or non-credit internship. More information can be found on the career center’s website. www.uky.edu/careercenter/internships101. The next three events are:

Wednesday, November 11 at 12:00 p.m.

Wednesday, December 2 at 2:00 p.m.

Wednesday, December 9 at 2:00 p.m.