Putting a crown on social justice

By Rachel Smith

In the heart of Kentucky, Miss Black Ohio 2016 wears her crown like a queen.

Political science senior Alexandra “Ali” Curd hopes her recently-endowed title will allow her to make an impact in predominantly poor neighborhoods like the one where she grew up.

Curd, who’s minors are vocal performance and criminology in addition to political science, said her interest in becoming Miss Black Ohio began when she had to write an article about the organization.

Curd said she felt in touch with the sisterhood aspect that was missing from other pageants.

“This specific organization really seeks to illuminate what young black women are doing around the country and all the things that we can achieve,” Curd said.

Applicants for Miss Black Ohio send in resumes, photos, and a platform idea rather than participating in a pageant.

Miss Black Ohio is less of a beauty pageant and more of a movement to empower women of color.

“It’s not just about upholding the same beauty standards that we’ve been upholding,” Curd said. “It’s about showing all the facets of the woman.”

Networking opportunities that come with being Miss Black Ohio also prompted her to apply. With a title like Miss Black Ohio, Curd said she would be enabled to meet black professionals in her specific field.

Curd recently took the LSAT and plans on going to law school once she graduates, but her interest in criminology is what sparked her platform idea of Criminal Justice reform.

“From policing all the way up to judges and juries, I’m just really interested in the different discrepancies and all the craziness that goes on in our justice system,” Curd said. “I’ve grown up in predominantly black, poorer neighborhoods, and (have) seen how over-policing affects people around there and how it destroys families.”

Curd said she has noticed a gradual change in racial acceptance since she has been at UK.

“Outwardly, UK is pretty welcoming. We’re coming up on minority numbers left and right, bringing more and more people of color in,” Curd said. “I’ve seen far more people of color in the last two years than the years before.”

Unlike UK, Curd said the country has experienced a constant ebb and flow with racial acceptance.

“I think we’re trying to move in the right direction,” Curd said. “I’ve seen some really inspiring and hopeful things coming out of a lot of these racial movements, but there has also been a lot of ignorance and hatred spewed right back.”

With Curd being crowned Miss Black Ohio, Curd said she is now in a position to voice her doubts and to make a change. Curd will participate in the Miss Black USA pageant in Washington, D.C., in August 2016.