Christian summer camp to hold info session in W.T. Young Library

By Camiran Moore

One of the largest Christian athletic camps in the country, Kanakuk Kamps, will host an information session 8 p.m. Monday in the W.T. Young Library Alumni Gallery.

Kanakuk Kamps provides children and families with opportunities to grow in their faith through games, sport activities and outdoor experiences.

The purpose of the event is to recruit students to work as counselors and staffers for the summer of 2016. It will begin with introductions and a brief film about the camp, followed by a summary of the available positions. There will also be a Q&A session, and the event will conclude with interview sign-ups for students who show interest.

Kanakuk Kamps has been a Christian summer camp for more than 300,000 kids since 1926. Over 1,800 college students serve as  counselors and staff members each year.

“I first heard about Kanakuk Kamps from this information session one year ago,” said Shelby Abrams, an elementary education junior. “Now I am too trying to get people to experience the best summer of their lives.”

Abrams said it was a once in a lifetime experience for her. She went to camp thinking she was going to help kids but said she really got to enjoy her time there by sitting back and “watching God do all the work.”

Kanakuk Kamps’ counselors and staffers are trained to serve in a Christian-like manner through the development of coaching skills and promotion of Kamper safety. They also learn about core Kanakuk philosophies and try to create an uplifting, fun and encouraging environment through the activity-based application of Biblical principles.

Kids at Kanakuk Kamps participate in more than 70 outdoor summer sports each year, including wake boarding and zip lining. According to Kanakuk Kamps’ website, counselors and staffers put an emphasis on developing Kampers’ spiritual beliefs as they bond over faith-building activities.

Psychology junior Evan Adams has worked for Kanakuk Kamp for two summers and has worked with Kampers from ages seven to 13. He said the best thing about working there is seeing the kids grow in their faith.

“I can’t see anywhere that I would have grown more than going to see these kids grow at the camp,” Adams said.