Women candidates debate on campus

By Lexington Souers

This year’s unprecedented lieutenant governor’s race features only female candidates.

Two candidates, Jenean Hampton and Heather Curtis, would bring more diversity to the office. Hampton would be the first African American, and Curtis would be apart of the first husband and wife team.

Sannie Overly, the Democratic candidate and running mate of Jack Conway, has served as the state representative for the 72nd state district.

“It’s important that we have women at the table when big decisions are being made,” Overly wrote in an email. “It helps ensure that Kentucky’s women and families have a true voice in the future of our Commonwealth.”

Overly wrote female politicians face the same issues that women in other fields face. These shared issues are what makes having a woman in office so important, she said.

“Having more women in elected office is the key to overcoming some of these challenges that we face,” Overly wrote. “A female lieutenant governor will ensure that women have a strong voice in state government, and will have the opportunity to be an advocate for Kentucky’s women and families.”

Hampton, a former Air Force captain and the running mate of Republican Matt Bevin, said she is running because of her passion for Kentucky, not because she wants to make history.

“I know I’m female, I know I’m black, but I don’t approach life as Jenean Hampton, female black person,” Hampton said. “I’m in it because I believe I have something to offer to Kentuckians.”

Hampton said her ability to empathize with people, especially those who are poor and struggling, has to do with her childhood as well as her sex.

“Do I have a special view point because I’m a woman? I don’t think so.” Hampton said. “I’m just Jenean.”

Curtis, wife and running mate of Drew Curtis, is new to the political world of Kentucky. Curtis was trained as a therapist, but became chief operating officer of the couples’ independent business in order to be closer to their children. Curtis said she was surprised by the buzz that surrounds the lieutenant governor’s race.

“What I’ve heard about Kentucky politics is that it’s an old boys network, and there are a lot of problems with that if that’s true,” Curtis said. “So if that’s the case, then … yes, I’m glad that there’s more women in politics. I think that we can change things.”

Curtis and her husband are running as independents. During the debate, Curtis said she would focus on mental health and small businesses. She said she would work with legislators to help process the 3,000 untested rape kits in the state.

Curtis said her ability to listen, a skill she has cultivated over her years of being a mother and COO, would help her in office.

“Listening is a stereotypical skill of women, and if that’s what I can bring to Kentucky, I think I can do it well and I can do it in a really valuable way,” Curtis said. “Once you listen, you know what the problems are and you have a whole lot more ideas of how to solve them.”

While Kentuckians may not know who will be in office after the Nov. 3 elections, one thing is certain, a woman will take the position of lieutenant governor for third time in state history.

“This is why it’s so great, that no matter who wins, Kentucky will have a woman as our next lieutenant governor,” Overly wrote.