Dress codes create body-shaming

One of the greatest things about college is not having to worry about being pulled out of lecture to change clothes. Reminiscing about high school I can’t count how many times my mother was called to come pick me up, or how many times I had to put duct tape over the holes in my jeans.

At a young age I was well endowed and it was difficult to find a top that did not show cleavage. I remember asking my counselor, who pulled me out of class, why I was in trouble. She told me, “Your blouse is distracting.”

Was my blouse distracting, or did guys and male teachers not respect my choice to wear what I wanted? Young women are told their outfits make teachers feel uncomfortable. These restrictions teach young women that boys are programmed to objectify and harass.

High school and middle school dress codes are shaming girls and practicing rape culture in an environment where girls should feel safe. The dress codes teach young women that what they wear is the reason guys can’t pay attention to chemistry. Instead of teaching young men that a woman is not defined by her appearance and that her clothing should not provoke action, young men are being taught that women’s clothing should provoke action.

Dress codes can be effective, but the majority of the time are pushing girls to feel like they should cover up their bodies. Instead of using valuable time to learn, girls who break dress codes must go home and change, or their parents must take off work to go pick them up.

My sister just entered high school as a freshmen and I am afraid for her wellbeing, especially learning in the halls where I once walked. The same teachers will be telling her to cover up and asking her to duct tape the holes above her knees of her jeans.

In college I have the ability to dress however I feel, and I was never a distraction to my classmates. I have worn low cut shirts, and the buildings did not cave in. I have wore athletic shorts that were not of high school dress code standards, and I did not catch on fire. My female counterparts have the freedom to dress how they want, and I have never seen any woman on campus in just a bra and thong.

However, there is a limit on what students should wear — like a shirt with curse words or disrespectful language — but with my four years on campus I have never seen a fellow Wildcat wear something to meet that description.

It is frightening that teachers and administrators must create drastic rules because they believe students do not have the morals to understand what is acceptable and what is not. High school and middle schools around the nation should learn from higher learning. In the professional world we must dress professionally, but in an academic environment we should have the ability to feel comfortable in our clothing and not sweat through our jeans during the summer.

How can we expect students to come to college with a head of readiness when we have been taught our whole school career that girls’ bodies are dangerous and tools of sexist dress codes. Not only are dress codes practicing rape culture, but dress codes tell girls that it is their fault if they are assaulted because of how they dress. It is time for high schools and middle schools to learn from higher education systems.

Jamilyn Hall is the assistant opinions ediot for the Kentucky Kernel,