LTE: Tobacco-free Take Action Ambassadors clarify policy

As UK’s Tobacco-free Take Action! (TFTA) Ambassadors, we wanted to share some truths about UK’s tobacco-free policy after reading the Aug. 29, editorial entitled, “UK should enforce tobacco policy.” By that we mean to clarify the truth about the way the policy is enforced, the efforts made by UK students, faculty and staff, and the effort by the TFTA team to promote compliance with the policy.

The tobacco-free policy was adopted in Nov. 2009,and the policy states that the use of any form of tobacco is prohibited everywhere on campus, including university owned sidewalks, streets and parking structures. Over the past six years, UK has been continually committed to promoting adherence to the policy. Since the development of our TFTA Ambassador program in 2010, we have seen a dramatic 40 percent decline in the number of cigarette butts on campus — an indicator of compliance with the tobacco-free policy.

The TFTA Ambassadors fulfill a variety of roles. Not only do we attend campus functions to promote the policy, we also spend several hours each day approaching people who are in violation of the policy.

The Ambassadors are trained to talk with and report policy violators on campus using a firm, but kind and compassionate scripting approach. UK has tried to create an environment of compliance, in which violators are asked to stop using tobacco products while on campus. The policy is also enforced by verbal and written warnings from the Dean of Students, mandatory attendance in a tobacco cessation course for a fee, and corrective action for employees by supervisors and Human Resources.

In addition to enforcing the policy, Ambassadors promote the multitude of tobacco treatment programs available for UK students, faculty and staff to help them quit when ready. UK also sells low-cost nicotene replacement therapy, so those who are not quite ready to quit can manage their cravings while on campus. For additional information, visit our webpage.

This semester we are implementing a volunteer program to increase our reach on campus. Volunteers will be trained on the policy, learn how to approach and report violators, and work collaboratively with the TFTA Ambassadors in our efforts to continue improving compliance with the policy.

We encourage all members of the campus community to volunteer by sending us an email to help us promote a healthy, tobacco-free campus. Anyone can report violations on our website or by email. The Ambassadors and other members of TFTA investigate all reports made to the hotline and follow-up as necessary.

The TFTA and the Tobacco-free Ambassadors appreciate all efforts made by the campus community to help promote an environment of respect for others on campus. Since the tobacco-free policy was implemented in 2009, student tobacco use has declined from 30 percent to 19 percent. While we know it will take time to eliminate tobacco use on campus altogether, we’re emboldened by the results we’ve seen so far and we’re optimistic about the future.

We welcome any questions about the policy and ask that they be directed to [email protected].

The Tobacco-free Ambassadors are Abby DeRigo, Jaclyn Perryman, Brad Polivka and M. Elizabeth Wood.