Mens soccer dominates Eastern Illinois

By Anthony Crawford

UK mens soccer looked like they were going to start the game like almost every game so far this season, with sloppy play leading to a goal for the other team. It would prove to be quite the opposite as UK beat Eastern Illinois 6-0.

Struggling to possess the ball on offense led to EIU controlling most of the first 20 minutes of the game. In that time the Panthers got one shot off, and that would end up being the only shot of the half for EIU.

UK managed 12 shots in the first half, led by junior forward Napo Matsoso with 4 shots. Unfortunately, many of those shots ended up in the stands rather than the back of the net.

The Cats finally capitalized on one opportunity in the 40th minute. A ball played by Matsoso was finished just inside the box by forward Stefan Stojkovic for his first goal of the season.

The aggressiveness from Matsoso continued into the second half as he opened the half with a long run that ended with a shot inside the box that found the back of the net. This was the midfielder’s third goal of the season and the second straight game he has scored.

“It all depends on if the defenders are dropping back and I have more space to drive. So that opens up the shots and the passes to the other forwards and midfielders,” Matsoso said.

Frustration fouls after losing balls occurred throughout the game for Eastern Illinois, leading to them finishing with 13 fouls.

Refusing to sit on the lead, UK exploded at the 69th minute for four goals to close out the game.

Confidence from the first half goal, led to Stojkovic making a quality and cross that was finished by midfielder Hampus Agerström for the third goal of the game and his first of the season.

The fourth goal started in the 71st minute with a bit of skill by midfielder Xahne Reid. He was able to cross it after beating a defender and getting to the goal line. The cross was finished off by midfielder Grant Mook for his first of the season.

Mook didn’t stop there, cleaning up a corner this time assisted by Agerström just three minutes later.

Stojkovic joined Mook with two goals in the game with a late strike in the 87th minute. After struggling earlier in the season, the forward hopes this game can turn his season around.

“I’ve been struggling a little bit, but I’ve been trying to push forward with important games to come. I hope that this keeps up like it did today,” Stojkovic said.

UK will face Florida Atlantic at home on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Cats hope to carry this momentum and stay undefeated at home.