Guided meditation can open up creative thinking

When I first started writing this piece I had no clue where to begin. What topic should I breech? Is there a case study I should review and write about? How can I further explain the process of meditation beyond “close your eyes and breathe?” Then I noticed my body language.

Tense shoulders, slightly hunched back and short breath. Hello anxiety; welcome back. So I decided to take a page out of my own book and meditate.

Rather than setting a timer and focusing on my breath for 5-10 minutes, as I instructed in my previous column, I referred to a guided meditation.

These forms of meditation are a favorite of mine for many reasons. First, it’s easier to focus on what a person is telling you to do as opposed to focusing on breath, because let’s be honest, breathing can get boring sometimes.

Second, many guided meditations are categorized into what you want to get out of them, such as gratitude, finding peace, empowering oneself and so on.

For example, whenever I hit writer’s block, I try to find a meditation centered on awakening creativity. By the time I hum my final “Om,” I’m ready to start typing.

Third, guided meditations seriously utilize the power of your imagination and the power of visualization. In my opinion, this is what makes guided meditation more impactful than traditional or passive meditation.

It uses mental imagery to produce positive changes in thought and action. These sorts of visualization techniques are actually used quite often in sports, arts and even business.

In essence, guided meditations enable you to visualize, either directly, emotionally or symbolically, the positive experience or emotion you want to implement in your life.

Today, I wanted to write an article about meditation and didn’t know where to start. After I found a guided meditation on awakening my creativity, I was able to decide on a topic not only for this week, but next week as well.

Tune in next Thursday for my top 10 list of meditation apps available for your smart phone. In the mean time, namaste my friends.