App created by UK graduates locates Lexington food trucks

By Yao Yu

There are more than 30 food trucks in Lexington, and now locals can spot them using “Follow That Food Truck!,” a free mobile app for iOS and Android created by UK graduates.

With this app citizens can follow all the local food trucks, including some local favorites such as Bradford BBQ, The Cheezy Mac, Furlongs Crazy Bout Cajun, The Epic Cure, The Gastro Gnomes, Pita Social and Chef Doug’s Snack Shack.

The app is currently free to use for both diners and food-truck operators, and uses GPS to display the location of nearby food trucks. There are over 6,000 people in Lexington using the app.

“Follow That Food Truck!” was created by two Kentucky natives, Josh Boldt and Erik Rust, who say they have a passion for quality food.

“There’s one particular niche of this new dining market that has really caught my attention — the food trucks. These restaurants-on-wheels have become commonplace around the streets of Lexington, ushering in a new era of eateries that didn’t even exist here just three years ago,” Boldt said.  “Our motivation was that we wanted to find the trucks easily. So we decided to fill the information gap by undertaking the project of building a dedicated website and app.”

In addition to the free mobile app, Boldt and Rust also created a website that lists over 30 food trucks along with a pinpointed map of the area that displays active food trucks in real-time, reviews and news about local Lexington food and events. Viewers on the website can not only know the specific style of the food, but also have some basic information like phone numbers, the links of their social media and the menu.

Through this work, Boldt and Rust personally met many local truck owners and food truck diners.

The co-founders call themselves ‘truck chasers’ and are are UK graduates.

“We all know and love the city of Lexington. We are working hard to create technology that will not only help stoke the burgeoning culture of this city, but will also put Lexington on the map nationally. In addition to the food trucks in Lexington, we currently have food trucks using the app in Ohio, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina and Texas,” Boldt said.

“In our next version, we plan to include a feature that will let trucks schedule dates in advance, thereby allowing diners to see where trucks will be as far as a week into the future. This is a feature many people have requested and we’re happy to provide it soon,” Boldt said.