Meditation a natural remedy to life’s stresses

Remember when you were a kid, and whenever you got angry or sad or upset your mom would sit you down and tell you to take five deep breaths? I do. And it has always worked to calm me down.

Some how my emotions would dissipate and eventually I’d be able to calm down. As it turns out that was my first experience with meditation.

Sure, a lot of people look at meditation as a joke. They think, “all you do is sit there and breathe, and somehow that’s productive?” That sums up our western mindsets nicely, in which what gets done in the day outweighs gaining peace of mind.

Ever feel like there’s not enough time in the day? Ever end your day feeling tired and stressed and frustrated? I have. Then came a point where I found mediation through yoga.

At first it was just a workout, but after a few classes I recognized the calm I felt as a child after taking five deep breaths. The mornings I did meditation after yoga lead to easier days and less stressful nights.

There was a study done in 2011 lead by Harvard researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) on meditation’s affect on the brain. According to the study, 8 weeks of mediation significantly changed the brain’s gray matter—a massive portion of the central nervous system, which is related to processing information and providing nutrients and energy to neurons. This led the researchers to believe the probability of meditation improving memory, stress relief, empathy and self-awareness.

According to the study’s senior author and Harvard Medical School instructor in psychology Sara Lazar, “Although the practice of meditation is associated with a sense of peacefulness and physical relaxation, practitioners have long claimed that meditation also provides cognitive and psychological benefits that persist throughout the day.”

What this means is that the peace of mind a child feels after five deep breaths or feeling tranquil after meditation in a yoga class are not a figment of the imagination.

The process of meditation is in fact improving our mental capabilities.

I’ve found that after meditating, even for just 5 minutes, I feel as if I have more time in my day because my mind is calmer and more focused.

To meditate, begin in a sitting or lying position with eyes gently shut. Personally, I enjoy soft background music from my meditation playlist on Pandora, but you can also meditate in silence. I also advise setting a timer between 5-10 minutes.

As you’re lying or sitting start taking notice of your breath. Don’t try to force the breath, just become aware of each inhale and exhale. Anytime your mind may begin to wander, bring your attention back to your breath.

You may even do a body scan where, without moving, you focus on your toes and the small buzzing sensation that exists under the skin. If you don’t notice a buzzing sensation right away, don’t worry it may take some time.

Slowly guide your awareness up the body to your feet, calves, knees, thighs, waist, and so on till you reach the tip of your head. Then refocus on your breath until you hear the buzz of the timer.

There are also plenty of guided meditations on YouTube, which are wonderful for beginners or those with a consistent practice of meditation.

As a fan of mediation, I can say there is no harm in trying this relaxing and calming exercise. You may even find sitting and breathing to be quite productive once you approach it with the right attitude.