UK women’s soccer to face in-state rival Louisville on Friday

By Jordan Ondrof

@jordanondrof

The 3-1 No.16 UK women’s soccer plays rival Louisville at home on Friday night.

With a win over No. 20 Washington and a 7-0 defeat against Toledo, the Cats are off to a promising start to their season.

The Cards are 1-1-1 on the season, losing at home 2-1 to a Washington team that the Cats beat 2-0.

The Cats have beat the Cards in their last four meetings and are 10-2-1 all time against their in-state rival.

Senior Courtney Raetzman has been the key player for the Cats thus far, assisting 3 goals and scoring twice.

Freshman Michaela Dooley had a breakout game last weekend, scoring her first hat-trick of her career.

Five different players have scored the five goals for the Cards, showing opposing defenses that they have many players that can score.

Looking to set a new attendance record, the annual “Battle of the Bluegrass” is going to be bigger and more tense than ever.

UK’s largest attendance for a women’s soccer match was 1,774 in 2009. The men’s soccer team has the all time attendance record with 3,368 in 2014.

UK is promoting this match heavily, offering $1 admission to anyone who wears blue. They are also adding tp the production value of the game, using pyrotechnics at certain points during the match.

The match begins at 7:30 p.m., right after the UK men’s soccer team plays, at Bell stadium.