Swing dancing a great alternative to college party scene

Berea College senior music student Tansy Anthony (left) and UK third year mathematics major Ryan Peters dance together at the swing dance event in the Barker Hall basement in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday, January 24, 2015. Photo by Cameron Sadler

With only one full week of classes under our belts, many of us are still trying to meet new people and form friend groups that will, potentially, last us the rest of our lives. Now is the best time to try new things, put ourselves out there, and appreciate a different time than our own. What better way to do just that than swing dancing?

Swinging dancing is a style of dance typically set to jazz music that came about in the 1920s. It has become increasingly popular as more people hear about it. In Lexington alone, there are a few hundred people involved in this social activity, according to Aaron Mabson, president of the UK Swing Dance Club.

Kicking off the start of another great year, the UK Swing Dance Club, active for ten years now, offers free swing dance lessons Fridays starting Sept. 4. From 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Seaton Center gymnasium on University Drive, you can find yourself having a blast while making new friends. Even if you don’t know what swing dancing is, don’t fret. You are there to learn, relax and have a good time.

If twerking isn’t your style, stop by to learn a new way to impress a special someone. Mabson said he became interested in this form of dance simply to meet girls and have fun. Although not opposed to twerking, he encourages everyone to give swing dancing a try.

“If you come to a social dance and start twerking, you might seem a little out of place,” Mabson said. “It’s a recreational way of relieving stress … and a good social way of getting people together and dancing to music.”

Mathematics junior and member of the UK Swing Dance Club Corrine Elliot started swing dancing as an extracurricular activity outside of high school. Elliot didn’t expect for it to click the way it did, but once she started she didn’t stop.

“It’s good exercise, and our Friday events are free and there is no experience needed,” Elliot said. “You don’t even need to bring your own partner. Just come and we’ll do our best to make you feel welcome.”

Swing dancing is a social alternative to the party scene that all people can enjoy, without the anxiety the college nightlife scene usually entails. So put on your dancing shoes and get swinging.