Violence isn’t necessary to control water balloon fight

at the CSF water balloon fight in Lexington, Ky., at Johnson Center field on Friday Sept. 7, 2013. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

Walking off the Johnson Center Fields drenched to the bone with balloon particles in your hair is a great way to start the year. The Christian Student Fellowship’s giant water balloon fight is a memory many UK students treasure, and the Kernel is glad to have it back.

The 2013 security debacle, when student security volunteers tackled six people and put one in a headlock, was an unfortunate black mark on CSF and the water balloon fight. Using physical force to stop people from popping balloons was irresponsible and dangerous, but it was not the fault of the entire organization.

CSF will prepare more thoroughly this year by talking with the UK Police Department and the university administration. They will tell security students not to touch anyone, and will have police on-hand to help if anything goes wrong.

Matt Dampier, associate director at CSF, told a Kernel reporter police will assist if physical force is required. CSF should never touch any of the attendees. Restraining people is the job of the police, and untrained CSF students are not capable of using physical force safely.

If a student rushes the field, CSF should talk to them, not tackle or handcuff them. Even if the person pops 2,000 balloons in the process, physical violence is not the answer. Breaking a world record is not important enough to risk someone’s safety.

That being said, students should respect the water balloon fight and not ruin everyone’s fun. CSF students spent days filling water balloons and planning to make this event happen. We’re all UK students, and we should respect each others hard work and happiness.