Towns could take top spot in NBA draft

By Joshua Huff

@KYKernelSports

The NBA spotlight shifts its attention from Golden State to Brooklyn as the 2015 NBA Draft kicks off Thursday. In a draft lauded as one of the deepest in years, seven UK players look to add a cherry to the top of what has been one of UK basketball’s most successful seasons in history.

For a few players the dream of becoming an NBA player is certain, but for players like Aaron Harrison, that dream has a tentative grasp on reality.

Here is a list of the UK players and where they stand heading into the draft.

No. 1 Karl-Anthony Towns, C: Minnesota

Imagine Rookie of the Year Andrew Wiggins and Towns teaming up for a team that has a stockpile of young talent. Towns earns the spot as the overall No. 1 pick over Jahlil Okafor because of his ability on the offensive side of the ball and his defensive presence. He has franchise potential with a laundry list of strengths: terrific passer, great vision, tremendous rebounder and a good shot blocker.

No. 6 Willie Cauley-Stein, C: Sacramento

This pick makes sense as Cauley-Stein appears to be the Kings’ overwhelming favorite in the sixth slot. The only issue would be the New York Knicks’ interest in Cauley-Stein, however. A lingering foot injury has caused many to project him to fall a few slots in the draft. He could go to the Knicks at four or even to Indiana at 11. It depends on if teams are willing to risk drafting a work-in-progress.

No. 8-12 Trey Lyles,  F: Indiana or Detroit

The dark horse of the group, Lyles was UK’s “X-factor” throughout the 2015 season.  Not flashy, but has an incredible feel for the game. He can guard on the perimeter and has the ability to affect shots at the rim. Scouts are comparing him to Carlos Boozer because of his size and his physical tools. The best fit is Indiana, who needs versatile players.

No. 9 Devin Booker,  SG: Charlotte

Charlotte finished dead last in 3-point shooting in the NBA last season, in the bottom three for points per game and were the secon-worst shooting team in the league. Where does Booker fit in? He shot 40 percent from three during his single season at UK and 52 percent from mid-range. He has tremendous range and is a high-volume shooter and scorer. Though the Hornets need shooters, Booker won’t be an immediate impact player. He could fall as far as 14 to Oklahoma City.

Late First Round to early Second Round,  Dakari Johnson,  C: Boston

Dakari was one of the nation’s top role players at UK. His ability to do the little things may serve him well in the NBA. He plays with a high motor, but his ceiling is low. He does not have an NBA-caliber offensive game. Don’t be surprised if he falls off the draft boards all together.

Second Round,  PG, Andrew Harrison: Utah

Bad interviews with teams and the perception that he has a bad attitude will cause Harrison to drop in the boards. He is not a natural playmaker and has struggled reading defenses. He, however, is a big, physical combo guard with potential to flourish on the offensive side of the ball. Some say he’s going Utah with the 54th pick, but attitude problems may hamper his stock.