Students shouldn’t focus on what they want to be, rather what they want to do in life

As the end of the semester approaches, underclassmen take a step back to face their grades and future plans. When this is difficult, it is devastating. Many of us have to rethink our life when we lose hope of becoming a doctor, lawyer, engineer or teacher.

However, if you find yourself in this situation, you shouldn’t feel alone. It is estimated that at least 50 percent of students change their major before graduation, and many drop out altogether.

Also, no one should be surprised or disappointed if you have to change plans. Traditional college students make up their minds at a young age, with little to no experience in college coursework and their dream job. Actually, it’s more surprising to me that some incoming freshmen can successfully predict their life’s work.

I had to change plans and confront a new reality midway through my sophomore year. Coming into college, I was as sure as I could be about my passion to become a doctor. Unfortunately, ideal grades didn’t come with my pre-med intentions, so I started to worry about being on the wrong path.

In the end, questioning my future served as a wakeup call rather than a stressor. I thought about what sort of future I wanted and realized that I could see myself happy in a variety of careers.

I wanted to be a doctor, but only because I wanted to help others. With this fresh outlook, I was content in exploring other paths and entertaining more options.

So my position is that undergraduates should keep in mind what they want to do, not necessarily what they want to be. When our ideals can fit many situations, it is wrong to convince oneself at a young age that just one career is right.

This can be advantageous in the modern world. A competitive market keeps some jobs out of reach, but broader goals can still be grasped.

Of course, envisioning a specific future has its merits. When we “keep our eyes on the prize,” we are often more motivated and directed.

Focusing on a specific job grows increasingly important, but freshmen and sophomores in college shouldn’t worry if something gets in the way of their plans. Instead, this can be an exciting time to consider and pursue new options.

So my advice to underclassmen who hit a roadblock is this: don’t focus on a dream job, concentrate on your ideals and dream lifestyle. As long as you stay prepared to seize a fitting opportunity, you will be just fine.