Student’s family remembers sister

By Kelci Webb

As sophomore Olivia Payne walks across campus to class on Friday she will be thinking of someone else who will be getting ready to begin a greater journey.

Olivia’s father, Caleb Payne, will embark on a six-month hike through 14 states, starting in Georgia and finishing in Maine at the start of October.

“I am very excited for him. He has worked to give me everything I have and now he deserves a break,” Olivia said.

The meaning of the journey is a personal one. Olivia’s oldest sister, Megan, was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when she was only seven days old. The diagnosis took a huge toll on the Payne family as Olivia’s mother spent most of her time at the hospital while her father worked two jobs to keep up with the bills and extra expenses.

This vigorous routine for the Payne family stretched 24 years until Megan succumbed to her illness on June 17, 2011.

“She was the most inspirational person I have ever met,” Olivia said. “In her last few days she was smiling and laughing like nothing was wrong.”

Among the many memories that Olivia and her sister made centered on the “theme song” game. Just days before Megan died, Olivia played the game with her sister even though she was unconscious.

“I decided to play the game with her anyway (for last times sake),” she said.

“I told her to think of something and I hit shuffle and it played “Friday” by Rebecca Black. I started to laugh because that made no sense. That song didn’t even have a theme.”

It seemed to Olivia that her sister was sending her a message. The song “Friday” foretold the day of her death.

“Although this may not make sense to other people as to why it is one of my favorite memories with my sister, it has stuck with me because even in the worst time, my sister was giving me a sign,” Olivia said.

Caleb came up with the idea of the walk shortly after his daughter’s death, but with everything the family was going through he just couldn’t find the time. The trip was delayed even longer when Caleb discovered he had colon cancer.

The discovery came just a year after the he had lost his daughter. He has been fighting for the last two years and is finally cancer free. After losing Megan and almost losing his life to cancer, he can finally embark on his journey.

“Her dad is such a great role model,” said sophomore Anna Casada, Olivia’s best friend. “He has struggled through so much between his colon cancer, the passing of Megan, and family struggles, but nothing can bring him down.”

Caleb is dedicating the hike to his daughter Megan and wants to bring awareness to cystic fibrosis. He also is hoping to raise $13,000 for the Colon Cancer Prevention Project through his hike. Caleb’s hike can be tracked at kysemicolon.com.

“If I could say one thing about my dad it is that he has worked his whole life for this moment and for him to finally be able to do this makes me so proud,” Olivia said.