A splash of color previews theatre production of ‘Hair’: Tie-Dye event brings awareness for student play

By Alex Olin

The Department of Theatre and Dance brought the groove of the 60s back to UK’s campus at the Monday afternoon Hair Tie-Dye event.

With the musical hitting Guignol Theater on April 16 through 26, the cast of the show raised awareness by offering students the chance to create their own tie-dye t-shirts on the patio of the Student Center.

Theatre senior Rachel Snyder, who plays “Sheila” in the musical, helped with the activity.

“The musical centers around a tribe of like-minded people — hippies per say — and it follows a guy named Claude and he is actually drafted into the Vietnam War,” Snyder said. “And the musical follows the drama that comes with him being drafted and what he’s going to do about that.”

The musical draws from the themes of counterculture and rebellion that were popularized during the anti-Vietnam War peace movement.

With several colors to choose from and a variety of patterns, the team gave step-by-step help to students as well as handouts on tie-dye aftercare.

“I really am excited to be a part of it,” Snyder said. “It is a super show and we all want people to come out in April and see it. We also want students to have fun with tie-dye and free t-shirts.”

The theater team led by example and showed off their own colorful tie-dye t-shirts they had created together as a class.

Snyder said the group started with 43 extra shirts, though other students could show up with their own materials between 12:30 and 3:30.

”It’s first come, first serve on the free t-shirts,” Snyder said. “But you can always bring your own stuff to tie-dye and we would help with that.”

Theater and art history junior Tennessee Rose was drawn in by the tie-dying aspect of the event, rather than its connection to the musical.

“I’m from California, so me and my mom tie-dye together every single summer and it’s really a fun experience,” Rose said.

Integrated strategic communications freshman Garrett Goolsby said the creativity and helpfulness of the theatre students won her over.

“They are so nice and bubbly. I wasn’t planning on going, but after seeing how cool (the way) they chose to advertise (was), it was a deal breaker,” Goolsby said. “I know it’s going to be awesome.”