Students seek internships at fair

By Tabassum Ali

The value and importance of internships were stressed at an internship information session on Wednesday afternoon in the Stuckert Career Center. The session was intended to help students find and apply for internships, whether paid or unpaid, for class credit or just for experience.

“It is important for students to get out into the real world and get real life experience,” internship coordinator Cindy Edwards said.

She went on to say that internships are beneficial for students in that they will have relevant work experience on their resumes when applying for jobs.

Internships can be extremely competitive too according to Edwards, who said “employers do not have time and scan through applications … they will prefer a student who has experience than one who does not.”

Biology junior Alexis Siples is planning ahead of time for her potential internship experience.

“I am looking in to getting an internship in the fall semester … even though it is not as important to me I still want some experience in my field.”

Internship application deadlines vary from each organization; the competitive and popular internships often require applications from as early as February and March.

“It really does depend on when organizations need interns,” Edwards said. “There is still plenty of time for great opportunities into June.”

More information sessions will be held at the Stuckert Career Center in the upcoming weeks.