UK softball opens home opener with 2-0 against EKU

By Lamar Smith

In a game where runs were hard to come by, a laser by Christian Stokes junior infielder over the centerfield wall proved to be the difference during an intra-state game pitting Eastern Kentucky against UK. The run gave the Cats the lead and they would not relinquish it as they beat EKU 2-0 at home Wednesday afternoon.

UK (15-5) was only able to scrounge together two runs and five hits but the performance was enough for the win against EKU in UK’s home opener. EKU would only muster up five hits in the loss.

Sophomore Meagan Prince and freshman Erin Rethlake both pitched well, combining to throw seven shutout innings while giving up five hits. Rethlake captured her first win of the season and now has an 0.98 earned-run average.

“I feel like it was a really good team effort. We came out strong today and we knew we kind of had something to prove today this week coming back”, Rethlake said.

The Cats answered several close calls by EKU.  In the top of the 6th inning, EKU had two on base with only one out, but Rethlake struck out the rest of the side to help UK hold onto its small 2-0 lead.

The game was scoreless until the bottom of the 5th-inning. Stokes solo leadoff home run  finally broke the 0-0 tie.  The home run was Stokes’ fourth of the season.

“I felt like I was seeing the ball better that at-bat.” Stokes said. “So, I felt like it was a good thing for the team to kind of get us started and get some hits on the board.”

Prince was impressed with Rethlake’s performance.

“I’m happy with our offense and I’m happy with our defense … Erin came in and pitched great, she’s a big asset to this team, so overall we got the win so that’s all that matters.”