LSU slaughters UK 41-3 in Death Valley

By Joshua Huff

The game against LSU on Saturday started with much promise yet ended in bitter disappointment as the Tigers dominated a hapless UK football team 41-3.

The Cats entered the night ready to shock the SEC world but instead they confirmed what the experts have been saying all season: that UK’s record is a byproduct of its schedule.

It was LSU who shocked the Cats, effectively breaking UK’s spirit during the opening kick-off when the Tigers’ Terrence Magee blew through UK’s porous kick-off team for a 49-yard return. The Tiger’s opening drive resulted in a one-yard touchdown by Leonard Fournette. The Cats however, struggled on their opening drive when their ineffective offense went three-and-out.

If the Magee’s kick-off return broke UK’s spirit, Tre’Davious White’s 67-yard punt return for a touchdown broke the Cats’ back.

Down 17-0, the door was slowly shutting down on any comeback that UK was hoping to mount. Its defense was matching LSU’s offense’s physicality. Limiting Fournette to under 50 yards and receiver Travin Dural to under 40 yards receiving before halftime. But it was the punchless UK offense that doomed the Cats and slammed the door on any UK comeback.

Again it was the inability of the running game. UK was held under 100 yards rushing and with a running back core as deep as UK’s, the question will arise as to whether the offense line has the ability to contend with top tier defenses. On Saturday, the answer was a resounding no. LSU assaulted UK’s line, notching eight tackles for a loss and two sacks. UK quarterback Patrick Towles was in a constant state of panic, as he was repeatedly flushed out of the pocket and was unable to find any open receivers. Towles ended the night with a wimper, going 19-for-36 for 146 yards.

The Tigers secondary created havoc for UK’s receiving core, locking them down all evening. Demarco Robinson led the Cats with 52 yards on three catches while all other UK starters were limited to under 30 yards. Towles’ go-to, receiver Ryan Timmons was held to just four catches for 24 yards, much to the credit of LSU’s cornerbacks.

In the end, all that could be said was that LSU’s physicality and the bright lights of Death Valley crippled any promise UK had, but the result simply shows that the SEC West is a different beast then the East, a terrifying fact that UK unfortunately confirmed.