Rising Roll offers deli options

By Erik Kropp

As the ribbon was cut for the opening of Rising Roll Gourmet Tuesday in the Ralph G. Anderson Building,, lines of students began to form for a variety of free samples, including cookies and chicken and tuna salads.

Psychology sophomore Ravyn Tanner said she enjoyed her sandwich and added that she’ll probably come back.

Rising Roll serves deli-style foods as well as breakfast coffee and pastries. The restaurant should serve both students in the engineering building and those moving from classes on the east side of campus to the west side and vice versa, said Dan Palombo, vice president of operations for Aramark.

Palombo said UK Dining opened the deli in the Engineering building because of the lack of food choices around that part of campus.

“We thought this neighborhood was not getting enough attention,“ Palombo said.

The restaurant appears to be growing in popularity, Palombo said, according to early research that shows both students and faculty eating at Rising Roll since the beginning of the year.

Rising Roll offers a menu with vegan, gluten-free and gluten-reduced items, said Mike Lassiter, the president of Rising Roll Gourmet.

Lassiter said that restaurants should focus on catering to people who are on specific diets and promoted Rising Roll’s “made-from-scratch” products.

Matt Resch, a math and computer science sophomore, said having the restaurant in the Engineering Building would foster socializing.

“We build relationships and community when we eat together,” Resch said. “Family happens around the table.”