Art appreciation group introduces street art

By Jonathan Coffman

Local street art found its way inside the Student Center’s Rasdall Gallery on Tuesday in the PRHBTN Gallery Reception.

PRHBTN, or “Prohibition,” is a Lexington-based local art appreciation group. The art they feature is often “criminalized, marginalized and underappreciated in the mainstream,” but they work to create a new appreciation locally, according to the group’s Facebook page.

“Street art is such a low-browed art style,” said PRHBTN member Graham Allen. “But it has so much more room for exposure than out in the streets.”

Members of the group participated in the event by submitting original pieces.

Allen, 42, often takes a stencil approach to his pieces, while also using markers and acrylics.

“This form of art has a really raw, rough subject matter and I think it can complement a younger audience that you’ll see here on campus,” Allen said.

Students crowded into the Rasdall Gallery for the event. Architecture graduate Matt Storrs came by to support a friend whose work was on display.

“Geoff Murphy really has mad style,” said Storrs. “I follow him on Instagram and seeing his work here is just like watching him blow up.”

Murphy’s untitled piece, a portrait of an angry chicken guarding its eggs in front of wild graffiti text, was a favorite of Storrs.

Jesse Glenn, a 30-year-old painting instructor at Pino’s Palette, described his work as not necessarily street art, but pieces that fit well with the genre’s wild colors and personality.

“I want people to be wowed by the intricacy of the design and bold edges,” said Glenn. “It takes a long time to get it right.”

Melissa Simon, Director of Cultural Arts for the SAB, took initiative in introducing the seven PRHBTN artists’ work to the school.

“I think it really is important for us to integrate different art forms,” Simon said. “PRHBTN has been representing the local area well artistically, and it felt like a good match for what we aimed to do.”

Street art is a medium that often gets a bad reputation for being created in public places, with or without consent, Simon said.

“Some people think of it as just graffiti, or everyday vandalism,” Simon said. “But this shows that it really is its own art form. There are plenty of mediums that go into creating this work and this gallery hopefully can help people see it.”