Moon Festival comes to Lexington

The stars are lining up for the Kentucky Chinese American Association as they prepare for their annual Moon Festival at the MoonDance at Midnight Pass Amphitheater of Beaumont Centre on Saturday.  It is the sixth year the KYCAA has hosted the Moon Festival Celebration.

Professor Changzheng Wang, who is chair of the Moon Festival committee said, “It will be a happy and enjoyable place, and we want people to mingle and interact.”

Last year over 2,000 people attended the event, which celebrates the second most important holiday in the Chinese calendar, according to Wang.

KYCAA has over 400 members, and this year will feature more than 100 volunteers including UK students.

“There will be traditional Chinese music and dance, Chinese food, and this year we have a group of Erhu players from Cincinnati,” said Wang.

Rosie’s Pony will also provide a petting zoo which includes calves, rabbits, goats and pony rides.  There will also be mooncake tasting and a mooncake baking competition.

The KYCAA is a non-profit organization, and “budgeting was the most difficult part” for the Moon Festival, according to Wang. They were sponsored by the UK Confucius Institute, Lex-Mart, Keeneland Racecourse and other businesses.

The University of Kentucky Confucius Institute has played their part in the Moon Festival Celebration. They have been helping with the Moon Festival for four years.

“This is one of the most important festivals that shows respect and family value,” said Chen Gu, who is the culture showcase coordinator for the UKCI.

They also hold essay writing and artwork competitions for local elementary and high schools.

“We have collected more than 100 pieces of artwork,” said Gu. The UKCI will be presenting the awards on the day of the festival. They will also be holding mini-Chinese lessons for anyone who is willing to learn.

“For those who are unable to be together at this festival, the moon brings them closer together,” said Gu.  “Many of the Chinese students do not have the chance to celebrate with their family this year which makes this festival so much more important.”